The Ampeg story begins when two 1940s musicians, Everette Hull and Stanley Michaels decided to electronically amplify the acoustic bass. The finished product was a microphone/pickup situated within the basses stand, or peg; in 1949 this "amplified peg" was shortened, creating the Ampeg name so respected to this day.
Ampeg bass amplifiers have always been held in high esteem, starting in 1960 with the original portaflex designs of Jess Oliver (most notably the B15 that would become the studio amp of the 1960s and 70s) but also the SVT that pushed the available power of an amplifier to new limits.
Ampeg soon got endorsements from some of the biggest groups of the the seventies; the Rolling Stones and the Faces, for example both appeared in early seventies Ampeg catalogues.
Click on the links for more information on the amps listed below.
Or see vintage Ampeg advertising here.