1982 Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe in Antique Fireburst
Notice the Gibson script on the headstock - a typical early eighties feature that harks back to the very early days of Gibson
The Sonex 180 Deluxe was Gibsons cheapest guitar; at its launch in 1980 it was listed at just $299. This price rose with different colour options, and left handed models. It was available in more colours than the Sonex Custom, Standard or Artist.
Back to the main Sonex page
Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe chronology
- 1980 Launch. Finishes: Ebony only 
- 1981 Finishes, Ebony and White - $349 
- 1982 Prices: Ebony ($349), Candy Apple Red ($399), Silverburst, Antique Fireburst ($434). Left handed models in all colours except ebony ($449) 
- 1983 The 1983 catalogue has no mention of the Sonex (but also doesn't mention several other models) . The price for basic colours remained the same throughout 1983, although the premium colours had a price cut for the second list of the year. Prices: Silver, Ebony ($369), Silverburst, Candy Apple Red, Antique Fireburst, Electric Blue ($469 Jan '83, $439 Jun '83). Left handed premium $100 Jan '83, $70 Jun '83 .
- 1984 The January 84 pricelist only lists two colours; ebony and red both at $419 for left and right handed models . The June '84 pricelist makes no changes and is the final listing .
- 1985 Instrument discontinued