The Gibson SG Custom (at the time known as the Les Paul Custom) and Gibson SG Standard (Les Paul Standard) were first publicised in early 1961, appearing in price lists from June of that year. The flyer below announces them - note the early 'side to side' Vibrato. The Custom was $395, and the Standard $265. The Les Paul name was dropped pretty quickly, and the SG-shape became a continual feature of Gibsons solid-body range ever since.
The ultimate in solid body guitars a completely redesigned LES PAUL CUSTOM. A new, revolutionary body design, exquisite craftsmanship and deluxe features combine in making the new Les Paul Custom. The ultra thin, hand contoured, delicately balanced design adjusts into a natural, comfortable playing position for any guitarist— with or without a strap. Finished in gleaming white tor perfect contrast with gold-plated metal parts. Players rave about the extra slim neck with the low, smooth frets that is such a joy to play—the action is so easy, players also refer to it as the "Fretless Wonder." Now with three humbucking, adjustable pickups, Tune-0-Matic bridge and Vibrola. This all new "Custom" guitar has increased power, greater sustain, and a clear, resonant, sparkling tone with the widest range of tonal colorings. Three- way toggle switch provides a new method of tone mixing: top position selects top pickup for top rhythm; center position activates the center and lower pickups simultaneously for extreme highs and special effects; lower position operates lower pickup for playing lead.
• Ultra thin, hand contoured double cutaway body
• New extra slim, fast, low-action, one- piece mahogany neck with adjustable truss rod
• Ebony fingerboard, deluxe pearl inlays
• Adjustable Tune-0-Matic bridge
• Three powerful, humbucking pickups with unique wiring arrangement
• Separate tone and volume controls
• Three-way specially wired toggle switch
• New Gibson Vibrola that operates in direction of pick stroke
• Finest quality, individual gold-plated machine heads with metal buttons
• Deluxe padded leather strap included
12 3/4" wide, 16" long, l 5/16" thin ...
24 3/4" scale, 22 frets
White Finish $395.00
0537 Faultless gold plush-lined case $50.00
Need the value of your guitar? The Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide 2023 is out now